Puerta de Purchena and Paseo de Almería
All the planning of the expansion of the Puerta de Purchena and Paseo de Almería took place in the mid-nineteenth century. The Puerta de Purchena, the nerve center of the city, was located specifically at the confluence of the current Plaza del Carmen and Plaza de Manuel Perez Garcia. Former “Puerta de Pechina”, the main entrance to the city that connected with the way of Pechina. Christians mistakenly known as Puerta de Purchena. It was demolished, like most of the walls in 1855. The door, shortcut, was framed by two towers in slope at the base.
Paseo de Almeria, along with the Puerta de Purchena, is today a meeting point of Almeria facing the commercial visit, business management in cafes around, or just a morning walk space. If initially the door was a space outside the walls, it will become the occasion of urban development in the second half of the nineteenth century, centerpiece of the urban fabric.
In the bourgeois widening lift in the second half of the nineteenth century, and after the demolition of the walls, the Paseo and the Puerta de Purchena become the prime area of the city, being connected urban development of the city in this period under the mining and trade of grapes that enriches the bourgeoisie.
Along the Paseo and the Puerta de Purchena you can see examples of houses of the bourgeoisie Almeria late nineteenth century and early twentieth century. This is single family or multi-family housing, among which the “Butterfly House” in the heart of the Puerta Purchena. This house is known for “House of Rapallo” by one of its owners or “Butterflies” by the most striking decorative motif presented. It was designed by the municipal architect Trinidad Cuartara Casinello.