The Provincial Hospital is one of the oldest secular buildings preserved until today. It is built on the initiative of Bishop Fray Diego Fernandez de Villarán, between 1547 and 1557, taking part in the works Juan de Orea. In the late eighteenth century, its administration, until then controlled by the Church, is replaced by a Governing Board composed of ecclesiastical and civil authorities. On the occasion of the creation of this Board in 1777, some major works were carried out to the building. The courtyard, built in the sixteenth century, was rebuilt with the works undertaken in the Hospital late 18th century.
It offers its main facade in Hospital Street, which has a neoclassic frontage whose door is framed between two large Ionic pilasters that support an entablature with the name of the hospital. The crown topped a balcony in a curved pediment and in the centre the royal coat of arms is housed. The entire set shows a academic like transition from Baroque to Neoclassicism.
Inside the building is the Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene, an interesting work of a single nave covered by a barrelled vault, accompanied by a balcony running along the sides and header. It welcomes the images of Jesus of Sorrows and Our Lady of the Rosary del Mar.