Gateway of Purchena
Today, this is a square located in the centre of Almeria city. Pechina Gateway was the most important gateway to the city. But its name was altered after the conquest of the Catholic Monarchs, who mistook Pechina with Purchena. The gateway disappeared after the demolition of the wall in 1855, around the time of the creation of the square. Since the second half of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century with the “boom” of the mining experiment within the province, the square and its surroundings were proliferated by all kinds of bourgeois and palatial houses.
The square was declared a Historic momument in 1991.
This urbanisation is located in the current Plaza Manuel Pérez García and there are numerous points of interest that are accessible from this emblematic square of the city: the Arab Cisterns, the Butterfly House, the Street of Shops and the Refuge of the Civil War and the Nicolas Salmeron statue are some of the points closest to the point of confluence of the city.